23 October 2014 Register  -  Login
  Search
Forums
Please be responsible and treat all other members with respect. Those who threaten, harass or abuse other members may have their privileges revoked. Please refer to a more detailed version our Site Rules in the above menue under About Us.The views expressed and held by members on this board are the individuals only and are not neccassarily the views held by the Forum owner or Moderators,and Journey Folki neither condone or condem them and have no connection or Affiliation with any of the members posting or their personal beliefs.

Subject: the real difference between a ROMANY GYPSY and a Gypsy/Irish traveller
Prev Next
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
romany-chaj

25 Aug 2006 12:50  
hey! i just joined dis website and i fink its quite alrite, me myself is a proper 110% romany gipsy, and de difference is wid travellers is dat we romany gipsies, are not allowed to wear TROUSERS or SHORT SKIRTS although a lot of teenagers stil wear them they always stop when der are other gypsy bois wanting to marry them. In my culture it is strictly forbidden to have sex before marriage, dat brings shame on to the family, we are respectful ppl. we are not allowed to marry a GADJO (a non-roma) althhough that changes, if de GADJO or GADJI (a non-roma woman) is willing to follow de culture then its ok and de children MUST speak de language.

from what i seen on here, i understand some words u ppl type but whats KUSHTI BOK? dass not romanes BOK in my language mean hunger

Could someone tell me what dialouge u ppl talk? im intrested cuz i see one word is english and the other romany? 
romany-chaj

25 Aug 2006 14:14  
hmm from language is kushti from? i kno say loads of words from de romany language i use are pakistani or indian but i never heard of kushti? i see kushti bok mean good luck, in my language we say -but bah- pronounced *boot bah* i am not married yet, im 18 but i have cuzinz dat are married at 14! i was born in germany, raised in poland and lived in west london since i was 8 :)
romany-chaj

25 Aug 2006 17:24  
Ohh! ok! yeah de persian word baxt in my language is actually pronounce bah but stil has de same meanin and yeh 'but' does mean very/much or loads in my language too :D am so happy i found this site, finally people from my nation! nuff love to all the Gipsies around the world!!!!!!!!
romany-chaj

25 Aug 2006 17:25  
oh and by the way im a romany gipsy from poland, my roma tribe is called HALADYTKA/russian roma
romany-chaj

25 Aug 2006 20:55  
I used to live in Poland but moved from ther to London when i was 8, now im 18 :D im loving this site, i will get some people to join it.

i wanted to show u a picture of my cousins dancing group called Romany Rad meanin Gypsy Night :D

Flyam

02 Sep 2006 21:47  
Hello Romany-chaj I just wanted to say welcome to the site! It would be lovely to see a page about your cousins dancing group. What kind of dancing do they do? Do you also dance and do your cousins have a dance school as well? Sorry for all the questions but I love dancing! All the best
romany-chaj

08 Sep 2006 12:25  
 heyyyy! dont be put off by posting in here! just because someone dont know what something means dont mean its ok to have a go at them, the real point is that if u dont ASK u will never know!! and Welcome To The Site

Gypsies For Life! hehe
romany-chaj

08 Sep 2006 12:28  
Posted By Flyam on 02 Sep 2006 21:47
Hello Romany-chaj I just wanted to say welcome to the site! It would be lovely to see a page about your cousins dancing group. What kind of dancing do they do? Do you also dance and do your cousins have a dance school as well? Sorry for all the questions but I love dancing! All the best

they dance the traditional Romany dance !!! lol yeah i do dance but not with them lol and nah we dont need a dance school, music is literally our life so wer born dancers

tek care! x
RLee

26 Sep 2006 11:04  
Hey,
I work for a translation agency based in the UK. At the moment I am urgently looking for Romany interpreter.
Anyone interested in earning a few bucks?

There is a Romany speaking lady from Bosnia in Birmingham who is in need of help and as she does not speak any English we are in a bit of a sticky spot.
If tou can help please email me asap.
Shinari

15 Oct 2006 16:33  
Posted By romany-chaj on 25 Aug 2006 12:50
hey! i just joined dis website and i fink its quite alrite, me myself is a proper 110% romany gipsy, and de difference is wid travellers is dat we romany gipsies, are not allowed to wear TROUSERS or SHORT SKIRTS although a lot of teenagers stil wear them they always stop when der are other gypsy bois wanting to marry them. In my culture it is strictly forbidden to have sex before marriage, dat brings shame on to the family, we are respectful ppl. we are not allowed to marry a GADJO (a non-roma) althhough that changes, if de GADJO or GADJI (a non-roma woman) is willing to follow de culture then its ok and de children MUST speak de language.

from what i seen on here, i understand some words u ppl type but whats KUSHTI BOK? dass not romanes BOK in my language mean hunger

Could someone tell me what dialouge u ppl talk? im intrested cuz i see one word is english and the other romany? 

Welcome, Romany-chaj. It's good to have you on board.

Nothing against you personally, but it is of my opinion that you made as many assumptions and prejudiced remarks about the Irish Traveller as most idiot Gadje make about them.

I think you should get your facts right. Let me tell you what I know about Irish Travellers, and I'm speaking about my wife's Clan here, and her extended family and Clans too:
1. They are also very conservative and traditionally minded.
2. They also wear long skirts and the men wear long pants, but as we both know, the youth these days are relentless in their exploration of variety.
3. It is also very strictly forbidden to have premarital sex in these Clans. My wife was over 25 years old when we were married (pre-arranged by our High Priests and High Priestess) and she was a virgin. It is unclean and dishonorable to the Spirit to have sex before marriage.
4. Our Clans also never marry outside of our own people. We have intermarried with the Rumnichel Clan from Romania so as to keep our bloodlines strong.

This said, I pray and hope you can be a little more open-minded and less prejudiced in the future. This will result in peace and not adversity.

Much love,
Shinari.
Cj Eastwood

15 Oct 2006 21:43  
 For the word Baxt meaning 'luck' look on

http://biphost.spray.se/tracker/dict/

Search in 'L' in the top left side. Scroll down to 'Luck' and you will see the same word spoken in an Indic language. Urdu is a language which is spoken greatly in what is now Pakistan. It has it's origins as a military language and is close to Hindi but has a large number of Persian and Arabic words.

Although Romani is absent of Arabic words due to their little contact with speakers of the language, it does however have numerous Persian words within it. Strange but true, many of the Persian words within Romanis are the same as the Persian words in Urdu which suggests that the majority of the Persian words within Romani may have been picked up prior to leaving India.

Prior to the invasions and influence on India by the Muslim Turks in the early 1000's, NW India was frequently in contact and influence with the Persian empires which would have had a great impact on the language and people at the time.
romany-chaj

15 Oct 2006 21:51  
oh ok dat explains it den, i just didnt know, and i didnt prejudice i just neva knew dat it was like dat wit irish travellers   but now i kno! so thanx
bang30

17 Oct 2006 15:19  

Posted By romany-chaj on 25 Aug 2006 12:50

Welcome, Romany-chaj. It's good to have you on board.

Nothing against you personally, but it is of my opinion that you made as many assumptions and prejudiced remarks about the Irish Traveller as most idiot Gadje make about them.

I think you should get your facts right. Let me tell you what I know about Irish Travellers, and I'm speaking about my wife's Clan here, and her extended family and Clans too:
1. They are also very conservative and traditionally minded.
2. They also wear long skirts and the men wear long pants, but as we both know, the youth these days are relentless in their exploration of variety.
3. It is also very strictly forbidden to have premarital sex in these Clans. My wife was over 25 years old when we were married (pre-arranged by our High Priests and High Priestess) and she was a virgin. It is unclean and dishonorable to the Spirit to have sex before marriage.
4. Our Clans also never marry outside of our own people. We have intermarried with the Rumnichel Clan from Romania so as to keep our bloodlines strong.

This said, I pray and hope you can be a little more open-minded and less prejudiced in the future. This will result in peace and not adversity.

Much love,
Shinari.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hi i think you are both wright what things  you say'' im a romani gypsy and my family live by a lot of these morals 

i know its moderin times and things change and we should be free too do and say what we like!!   but im glad that my family are old fashond '' 

a real romani man would never  speak filth in front of a woman or girl not even in a joke ''

best of luck to you ..bang

Bordercreek

09 Oct 2008 16:15  
Hello everyone
I am neither Romany or irish,just an everyday boring person I suppose!
but I and Ivan my partner are very interested in your culture, and have just part bought a lovely gypsy cob, who I am now saving like mad so I can fully pay for him and bring him home he drives lovely and my hope is that I can somehow get a bow top for him, but they are so expensive, so Ivan my partner as just sent for some plans to build your own!! should be fun. we are hoping to achieve this for june next year and take a trip to Appleby with him.
Tracy
Victor

03 Nov 2008 14:40  
dear Bang 30 te aves sasto ai baxtalo, first I will try to answer what you asked, I am a Lovari and in my language Bok also means hunger, now kushti is a belt the thing you tie your pants with!, my friend you are on the wrong track as far as 100/10 percent Gypsies are conserned, you must try to speak to a Kelderash, or Lovari, or any Vlax Gypsies, but as far as culture is conserned, now here comes the big diffrence, we also have this culture as you mentioned, but it is fading away, slowly but surely, your friend Victor.
gypsyheritage

14 Jun 2009 01:02  
Posted By Bordercreek on 09 Oct 2008 16:15

I am neither Romany or irish,just an everyday boring person I suppose!

I guess you could also call me a boring person* as well,with one exception I am part Romany I just never knew it until about a a couple years ago, when my great grandparents emigrated to the United States they decided to not acknowledge that they were Romany...after a lot and I do mean a lot of genealogy searching and going through boxes and boxes of family pictures and journals I was able to figure out they were Romany Gypsies.

*Just For the Record I don't think anyone is a boring, if you think they are boring they haven't revealed their true colors, yet

No Escape From Reality
rg

15 Jun 2009 04:10  
I think all people are unique and equal and were originally just people known as the human race ? with no labels attached ? after all we must all have been cave dwellers once :)
cam

16 Jun 2009 02:38  
I think its a bit simplistic to say as we all started of as cave dwellers we are all the same today. A lot has happened since those times.
rg

16 Jun 2009 05:40  
It may be simplistic but its the truth:) And was just a casual exmple, not every answer has to be deep and thought provoking:)
cam

16 Jun 2009 09:23  
No your right, we all started off in the same place ( kinda) and at one time all lived in caves I expect. I heard the Chinese were the first to lose their hair from being monkies, though I'm not sure if thats true. a Chinese man told me that : )
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

Forums > Community Forums > History & Language > the real difference between a ROMANY GYPSY and a Gypsy/Irish traveller

ActiveForums 3.7
Contact Forum Moderator. *Note* Please use the Contact Us box in the above drop down menue if you have not received a verification code, any technical problems or public outreach. Thank you!

Cancel   Send
Copyright (c) 2014 Journey Folki Interzoic Media  -  ThinkofDesign Terms Of Use     Privacy Statement